The (G)Zdoom Question

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Trusty McLegit
New User

Re: The (G)Zdoom Question

Post#41 by Trusty McLegit » Sun May 07, 2017 8:29 pm

Concerning the issue of update frequency, why not implement an automatic updater like Catastrophe suggested?

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post#42 by Torr Samaho » Sun May 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Trusty McLegit wrote:Concerning the issue of update frequency, why not implement an automatic updater like Catastrophe suggested?

If anybody volunteers to write an auto updater that works on Windows, Linux and OS X, and can handle clients and severs, please go ahead. It would be wonderful to have such a thing, but implementing it is a lot of work and I'd personally rather spend the necessary time and effort on Zandronum itself.

AlexMax
FNF Team

Post#43 by AlexMax » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:44 am

Torr Samaho wrote:
Trusty McLegit wrote:Concerning the issue of update frequency, why not implement an automatic updater like Catastrophe suggested?

If anybody volunteers to write an auto updater that works on Windows, Linux and OS X, and can handle clients and severs, please go ahead. It would be wonderful to have such a thing, but implementing it is a lot of work and I'd personally rather spend the necessary time and effort on Zandronum itself.

What if it was a feature of Doomseeker instead? It already can install testing releases automatically, why not stable versions too?
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.

Empyre
Posts a lot

Post#44 by Empyre » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:55 am

I like that idea. ---^
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post#45 by Torr Samaho » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:02 am

AlexMax wrote:
Torr Samaho wrote:If anybody volunteers to write an auto updater that works on Windows, Linux and OS X, and can handle clients and severs, please go ahead. It would be wonderful to have such a thing, but implementing it is a lot of work and I'd personally rather spend the necessary time and effort on Zandronum itself.

What if it was a feature of Doomseeker instead? It already can install testing releases automatically, why not stable versions too?

I think Doomseeker could handle the clients, but not the servers.

AlexMax
FNF Team

Post#46 by AlexMax » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:40 am

Torr Samaho wrote:
AlexMax wrote:
Torr Samaho wrote:If anybody volunteers to write an auto updater that works on Windows, Linux and OS X, and can handle clients and severs, please go ahead. It would be wonderful to have such a thing, but implementing it is a lot of work and I'd personally rather spend the necessary time and effort on Zandronum itself.

I think Doomseeker could handle the clients, but not the servers.

I feel like that would be best served by creating yum/deb repositories, that way you can dnf or aptitude updates onto your system.

Alternatively, it would be nice to have a static place on the website where you curl a text file with the latest stable version number, and if it's new, a static place where you can curl the latest server binary.

Other than that, as a server host, I certainly wouldn't want any sort of automatic update built into the binary itself.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.

Roozy1999

Post#47 by Roozy1999 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:39 pm

What happens if you don't play Zandronum? There is no multiplayer in (G)ZDoom.
The Roozies are SAVED in this FORUM! YES WE DID IT :doom:
No more ZDoom Forums, No more Bullshit, No more Spamming, No more Cyber-bullying, and no more KKK
And I'm A Fuckin' Fish.

Empyre
Posts a lot

Post#48 by Empyre » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Roozy1999 wrote:What happens if you don't play Zandronum? There is no multiplayer in (G)ZDoom.

I think that there is multiplayer in (G)ZDoom, but it is really clumsy and awkward.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Return to “Zandronum Talk”