Anyone else got the Free Windows 10?

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

Anyone else got the Free Windows 10?

Post by DevilHunter » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:52 am

I did, and well.. It don't feel all too different from Windows 8.1. Everything that worked there, works on Windows 10. Even the annoying freezing problem I had when first getting the preview is gone. However, I have one thing that just bugs the freakin hell out of me... Why does it ALWAYS change the lock screen background when I start up my laptop??

I can't figure out what's going on. I set the background picture to what I want. But the next time I start up the laptop, the background on the lock screen is different. I never had this issue in Windows 8.1, and the only thing that comes up when I search the net is "How to change the lock screen picture in Windows 8.1/10" which does not help me much.

So yea, case in point. It felt like a useless upgrade but hey, it's free...... Yea.

Fused
Contributor

Re: Anyone else got the Free Windows 10?

Post by Fused » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:04 am

I got it 5 minutes before the deal ended. I wasn't too sure because of the reviews but an upgrade was definitely needed. So far I had some problems with my headset not working, but that was easily fixed with rolling back to an older audio driver. Other than that I haven't really noticed any difference, but that's mostly because I didn't try anything new either.
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:20 am

Meanwhile I'm going to downgrade to Windows 7 before the anniversary update comes out, because Microsoft are just killing their fucking platform at this point.
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

Konar6
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Konar6 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:15 pm

It's not actually free, I'm sure the developers got paid for working on it.
Your privacy, your habits, keyboard input - all the data collected through "telemetry", and bigger control, is the price. These are rated high in today's digital era. They're so valuable that Microsoft reckoned they can make enough profit if they forcibly push this version to as many human beings on the planet as possible even without asking monetary price.

It looks bad, there is nothing new (what's actually new? Cortana? Works only in a few selected countries, and who talks to their computer again?), it spies on you, it has the "MS knows what's best for everyone" approach - like you can't select which updates you want to install, everything is forced on you. In prior versions, no sane person would leave automatic updates enabled. It happened many times that Microsoft pushed badly tested borked updates which crippled the systems with auto updates on. Now with W10, everyone is a beta testing guinea pig...

Jenova
Under Moderation

Post by Jenova » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:28 pm

Konar6 wrote:It's not actually free, I'm sure the developers got paid for working on it.
Your privacy, your habits, keyboard input - all the data collected through "telemetry", and bigger control, is the price. These are rated high in today's digital era. They're so valuable that Microsoft reckoned they can make enough profit if they forcibly push this version to as many human beings on the planet as possible even without asking monetary price.

It looks bad, there is nothing new (what's actually new? Cortana? Works only in a few selected countries, and who talks to their computer again?), it spies on you, it has the "MS knows what's best for everyone" approach - like you can't select which updates you want to install, everything is forced on you. In prior versions, no sane person would leave automatic updates enabled. It happened many times that Microsoft pushed badly tested borked updates which crippled the systems with auto updates on. Now with W10, everyone is a beta testing guinea pig...
Don't forget that your computer will automatically upgrade from windows 7/8 to 10. This happens even if you close out of the update request, because Microsoft apparently takes pressing the 'x' button instead of cancel as a sign that yes, I do want to update to windows 10. Also, if you do nothing, it automatically updates after a certain period of time. Thanks Microsoft!

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Didn't the free upgrade period end a few days ago though?

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:59 pm

Never even got asked to upgrade :/

S_Andrew_S

Post by S_Andrew_S » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:09 pm

Windows 10 just runs really slow on my machine, I guess my old CPU doesn't like it, but it's really not worth it.

DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

Post by DevilHunter » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:38 pm

Sean wrote:Didn't the free upgrade period end a few days ago though?
It ended on July 29th. However, I read online that the request to upgrade thingy "should" go away but no confirmed posts by Microsoft... Yet

Anyhow, other then the Lock Screen Background changing on every damn boot, I sorta like Windows 10. But as konar said, there really isn't much with the upgrade. Makes you wonder if they are gonna add more to it. Or who knows, this might be the last Windows... One thing I can't get over is the forced White Titlebar. Seems they also removed gpedit.msc as well, though some guides claim that its still in Windows 10 and should be the same as 8.1.

So yea... other then that one issue its pretty meh to me. At least that freezing problem I had back in the Preview versions is gone.

Vincent(PDP)
Forum Regular
Clan: My DOOM site
Clan Tag: <MDS>

Post by Vincent(PDP) » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:50 am

Still running Windows 7 here. IMO Windows 8 and 10 are too ugly.
I like when the companies have put some effort in the design and not just mocked something together in Paint. *ahem* iOS 7 *ahem*
//Visual Vincent ( Vincent (PDP) )
- My DOOM site Team

My projects:
Spoiler: (Open)
Doom Writer
Escape From The Laboratory - Done
Escape From The Laboratory Part 2
Parkskolan Zombie Horde Map (ZM10) - Done
In game Admin Commands for Zandronum.
Achievement Mod for Zandronum
Stats mod

Slim
Zandrone
Clan: Can't fit it in here
Clan Tag: -=FSR=-

Post by Slim » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:11 am

Sean wrote:Meanwhile I'm going to downgrade to Windows 7 before the anniversary update comes out, because Microsoft are just killing their fucking platform at this point.
That and I don't want Microsoft spying on my habits and shoving Cortana (totally original name totally not from halo) down my throat, I prefer ye old click and type.

Also I hear Windows 10 is hardly worth the jump from Win 7, considering how fugly it looks, I'll stick with alternating Win 7 Aero and High-Contrast thank you very much.

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5
Spoiler: Quotes (Open)
5:54 PM - Slim: you're complaining about something so small that
5:54 PM - Lance: so? we do that all the time
5:55 PM - Lance: we're a bunch of losers complaining at a bar minus the bar
Spoiler: Galactus tried evading (Open)

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:29 am

I got it back in February/March or so. I don't really mind it TBH.

Armour

Post by Armour » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:37 am

I've been using it for a year and I like it as much as Windows 7. Just need to customise it to your liking.

agaures
Forum Regular

Post by agaures » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:25 am

I think i upgraded day one (or maybe it was the day after). Literally no different from windows 7 for me. The only immediate difference i noticed when the upgrade was done and i logged in was the start menu was slightly different.

One rather annoying problem is when i type in my login password too fast the cursor jumps to the start of what I've typed so it forces me to type it in wrong.
Also there's still no Cortana in New Zealand so eh.

Faerlyn

Post by Faerlyn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:51 pm

I've been using it since day one. I really enjoy windows 10, its a pretty quick and smooth experience as far as windows goes. I do dislike all the privacy bullshit but there is ways to completely disable all of it so that isn't a big deal.

mr fiat
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by mr fiat » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:28 pm

8.1 is superior and i wouldnt want to give it up, did try 10 on my laptop though and some tablet i got for €45 seems alright tho but id hardly call it a upgrade.

Espio
Forum Regular

Post by Espio » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:43 pm

Nope, I have a bad feeling about 10 in a few years. I'll stay with 7 and even backed up the OS on a flash drive for future use. :^)

Dusk
Developer

Post by Dusk » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:10 pm

Slim wrote:
Sean wrote:Meanwhile I'm going to downgrade to Windows 7 before the anniversary update comes out, because Microsoft are just killing their fucking platform at this point.
That and I don't want Microsoft spying on my habits and shoving Cortana (totally original name totally not from halo) down my throat, I prefer ye old click and type.

Also I hear Windows 10 is hardly worth the jump from Win 7, considering how fugly it looks, I'll stick with alternating Win 7 Aero and High-Contrast thank you very much.
Too bad for you, Microsoft's updates ensure that Windows 7 also sends the telemetry stuff so they have an ear on your PC anyway.

Meanwhile I'm pretty content running Ubuntu with Windows 7 in a networkless VM.

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:19 pm

Dusk wrote: Too bad for you, Microsoft's updates ensure that Windows 7 also sends the telemetry stuff so they have an ear on your PC anyway.

Meanwhile I'm pretty content running Ubuntu with Windows 7 in a networkless VM.
I checked all the recommended/optional updates before installing and removed all telemetry/Win10-related updates after installing, and I'm going to check every update that I get in the future.

Laa
New User

Post by Laa » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:45 pm

I did and I'm pretty happy with it. However I do suggest using "Classic Shell" if you prefer the older style menu and layout of Windows OS's.