[ACS] Any good templates for an item shop menu?

Discuss all aspects related to modding Zandronum here.
FranckyFox2468
Forum Regular

[ACS] Any good templates for an item shop menu?

Post by FranckyFox2468 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Cause i've been trying to work with Xaser's physchic shop menu and Pillowblaster's guncaster menu (i have asked permissions to both don't worry) in hope of finding a way to make a shop menu in my mod without having to copy paste an entire shop into every maps and having to update it in EVERY past maps when i add new weapons.

Tho, i guess its nothing new i'm not the best when it comes to ACS, i found both of these to be incomprehensible clusterfucks. I mean both of these work amazing but when it came to try using these as a basic to make my own i have absolutely no fucking clue where to start, especially concidering if i try to remove some mechanics i might not need for my mod it ends up messing up the entire scripts cause they were built around using these.

So basically what i'm wonder is if there is a good template to make something like that using perhaps vanilla content or really simple graphics so i am able to figure stuff on my own.

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

[ACS] Re: Any good templates for an item shop menu?

Post by fr blood » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:35 pm

I remember seeing an interesting menu in the Zombie Torrent Project, I don't remember who is that author but you could maybe ask him the code source and take example of it.

FranckyFox2468
Forum Regular

Post by FranckyFox2468 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:43 pm

Didn't managed to find anything outta that except incompatible weapons and a map that misses many resources. Honestly i kinda wish there was something like Xaser's script but only with a really basic menu only to buy either a shotgun or a chaingun just to figure how this thing works without all the flashy pointless stuff. Or GC's even.

Fused
Contributor

Post by Fused » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:06 pm

lol
Even if you had a template, I doubt it would work exactly like you want it to. And since ACS is not very advanced, I doubt you would be able to modify it properly at all then. You should teach yourself ACS a bit more and do it yourself, although a menu isn't exactly the smartest thing you could do at your level.
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Check this out: Menu Question
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:11 pm

I'd offer you the source code of the menu I wrote for this mod, but sadly I lost the source 2 years ago. :/

If you can decompile the ACS into something more than unreadable code markers and unnamed variables then feel free to use it as a reference, however at any rate you're probably better off learning ACS yourself and writing your own basic menu.

You've read about GetPlayerInput on the ZDoom Wiki, right?
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

FranckyFox2468
Forum Regular

Post by FranckyFox2468 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:59 pm

Ivan wrote:Check this out: Menu Question
I'll be sure to do so when i have time to get around it. Might be a way to get a start.
Ænima wrote:You've read about GetPlayerInput on the ZDoom Wiki, right?
Heard of the command and seen it used in many scripts but i guess i should do a deeper read on the subject. Thanks for mentionning.
Fused wrote:lol
Even if you had a template, I doubt it would work exactly like you want it to. And since ACS is not very advanced, I doubt you would be able to modify it properly at all then. You should teach yourself ACS a bit more and do it yourself, although a menu isn't exactly the smartest thing you could do at your level.
Think a map based shop i'd have to copy paste on every maps and re-do the process on every past maps would be better? I might still try it regardless but its not the most convenient option really.

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:29 pm

FranckyFox2468 wrote:
Ivan wrote:Check this out: Menu Question
I'll be sure to do so when i have time to get around it. Might be a way to get a start.
Ænima wrote:You've read about GetPlayerInput on the ZDoom Wiki, right?
Heard of the command and seen it used in many scripts but i guess i should do a deeper read on the subject. Thanks for mentionning.
Fused wrote:lol
Think a map based shop i'd have to copy paste on every maps and re-do the process on every past maps would be better? I might still try it regardless but its not the most convenient option really.
Yeah you could do that for starting out. Only issue is that updating the shop with new stuff may be tedious since you'd have to update all maps. That's one of the reasons why All Out War switched from a switch-based shop to menu based.