Exploiting as an issue

Discuss master server operations and talk about your server clusters here.

Moderator: Master Server Staff

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Exploiting as an issue

Post by Razgriz » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:14 am

Given the recent exploiting issues that have been rising lately, us as staff treat exploiting seriously, no matter how big or small the issue may be. Anyone who is caught exploiting will get the appropriate punishments given the circumstances. The reason is simple, with how modifiable Zandronum is, we can't have people circumventing server settings or generally doing things they normally wouldn't be able to do with the normal client that disrupts or prevents people from playing. We as staff do not want to endorse this type of behavior and would appreciate if anyone finds any exploits to report them on the tracker or to the staff on IRC.

In terms of Carpathia, Dsparil, and Galactus they were caught using a weapondrop exploit at one point or another through a hacked client, and have been given punishments that suit how often and the longevity they have been doing it. All 3 didn't understand that the exploit was bannable so we gave them lighter sentences as a result. They weren't explicitly using the exploit to cheat and gain advantages in games, but they had the means to and would utilize the exploit at different times, and that is grounds for punishment for us. The idea is to discourage the behavior, and it's not fun when Devs and Staff have to scramble to figure out what is going on in the servers, who is doing it, how they're doing it, and how to stop it from happening (as seen with the invisible vote kick abuse). Hopefully everyone understand this situation more clearly and takes the issue more seriously to help us make Zandronum better.

Have an ice day!
Last edited by Razgriz on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Exploiting as an issue

Post by Catastrophe » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:21 am

It's so unsettling knowing how changing just a few lines of code can give you a humongous advantage. Hopefully these guys won't do it again... Though I'm not surprised about D'Sparil.
Last edited by Catastrophe on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:45 am

Question:
If you discover an exploit that can be achieved without an altered client, and you're not using it to cheat or be destructive, is that still bannable? Something like the \n bug back in the day.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Samurai
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:51 am

Holy shit Galactus was throwing his ego around for weeks and turns out the little dipshit was cheating all along?

This is too good :D

Fuck the light sentence, throw the book at the arrogant little cu'nt stain.

I feel so justified right now.
Last edited by Samurai on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

00:11  <Jarin_cz>	i am pretty sure i have more doom friends than you

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:55 am

What did the exploit do exactly? What modes did they use it in?

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:08 am

Ænima wrote: Question:
If you discover an exploit that can be achieved without an altered client, and you're not using it to cheat or be destructive, is that still bannable? Something like the \n bug back in the day.
The plan at the moment is just to put a lid on all exploits just so that everything is covered. Be proactive and report everything, I know that it seems a bit extreme but even the small things can become an annoyance if done in excess.
one_Two wrote: What did the exploit do exactly? What modes did they use it in?
The exploit basically was that the client they used, if the server variable sv_nodrop was false, they could still drop weapons in competitive gamemodes (typically even in CTF servers if it's false, you still can't drop it with a vanilla client, I tried the moment I saw a pool of SSGS on the floor). Though if the variable was set to true, they could not. However the problem is that they all were caught doing it in CTF servers where the variable typically is false, where you'd be disallowed to drop regardless. NJ and UK both had it set to false, and despite being an admin and should have known better, Gal would sometimes show it off just to mess with people, then switch nodrop to true after the fact on UK. Nobody really knew what was going on until it happened during map pick in the scrim server.
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:00 am

And dropping an SSG 100 times was supposed to do what, fill your ammo?

I've heard someone mention this exploit before but I wasn't sure what it was being used for in terms of possible advantages.

Also, how exactly is the engine altered to cause this to happen? Can you somehow exclude yourself from obeying a server's sv_ flags?
Last edited by Ænima on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZandroSkins

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:04 am

Decay wrote: how about place valuable weapons in otherwise inconvenient places in convenient places for when you or your team respawns in CTF?
Ah. Thats the only other thing I thought of. Although you would think that would just make it easier for enemy players to get them too.

ZandroSkins

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:05 am

You forgot to mention the part where Galactus admitted he knew about the exploit for over 4 months and repeated used the broken weapon drop multiple times during that span. As an admin of GV, you would think it's common sense to at least let the cluster admin (Konar) know that there is a exploit that can be used on his servers. Any of the FunCrusher admins would let Alex know immediately of any type of exploit regarding any aspect of his servers. I'm surprised he hasn't been DE-admined from GV for being negligible.

Of course someone like Gal will claim (and he did) it's not a bad exploit because he never used it in priv/pub or it doesn't give him any type of advantage what so ever. That kind of talk sounds like an excuse aimbotters use to justify cheating: 'Aimbots aren't cheats, they are aim assistance.'

I don't know any details regarding the other two individuals so I can't really comment on their bans. I will say however it was Gal that ratted them out. Well played.

Additionally, I'm surprised Leonard didn't get any type of punishment. By Gal's own word, he was the one passing around a version of the custom client knowing fully well of it's exploits. Nice to know about them shady antics.

One a final note, Galactus sure is good at throwing others under the bus. He made damn sure he didn't go down alone.
Last edited by Ru5tK1ng on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:06 am

So how long theu banned for? Couldnt see them in the txt
Ru5tK1ng wrote: I don't know any details regarding the other two individuals so I can't really comment on their bans. I will say however it was Gal that ratted them out. Well played.
Everyone snitches in doom it seems, for right or for wrong. Fatelord being an example.. ofc he got a shorter sentence for having the characteristic of being a dirty grass.
Last edited by one_Two on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:12 am

Samurai wrote: Holy shit Galactus was throwing his ego around for weeks and turns out the little dipshit was cheating all along?

errr. It's pretty obvious that you didn't even read the first post aside from Galactus' name as what he was using did NOT give him any advantage, and as such his ego was based off real things. Please, get your facts straight before making irrational hateful statements.
Although more on topic, what about the person who made the modified executable? That's probably Leonard. Guys, let's turn down ZCC, it's heretical and has a lot of borderline clientside limit adjustments which should be in the main codebase anyway. Like smaller nick change timeout.
Ænima wrote:Also, how exactly is the engine altered to cause this to happen? Can you somehow exclude yourself from obeying a server's sv_ flags?
Carncode. sv_nodrop is serverside check. No dropping in competitive game modes is clientside check.
Last edited by ZZYZX on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Post by Slyfox » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:13 am

Razgriz wrote: Galactus banned
Spoiler: Later (Open)
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
On a more serious note, I like how galactus was fast as hell to snitch after he got caught red-handed
ZZYZX wrote: errr. It's pretty obvious that you didn't even read the first post aside from Galactus' name as what he was using did NOT give him any advantage, and as such his ego was based off real things. Please, get your facts straight before making irrational hateful statements.
Did you also happen to gloss over the fact he knew about it beforehand for months at a time
Last edited by Slyfox on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:15 am

one_Two wrote: So how long theu banned for? Couldnt see them in the txt
Ru5tK1ng wrote: I don't know any details regarding the other two individuals so I can't really comment on their bans. I will say however it was Gal that ratted them out. Well played.
Everyone snitches in doom it seems, for right or for wrong. Fatelord being an example.. ofc he got a shorter sentence for having the characteristic of being a dirty grass.
Everybody snitches in doom? I disagree. It's only ever the sad addicted cheaters, IE, Galactus, Fatelord who resort to snitching on others in attempt to save themselves. Most people have a little self respect and dignity than to resort to that sort of crap.

ZZYZX
Posts a lot

Post by ZZYZX » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:17 am

Aside from other things, who the hell would use "I was using this exploit for 4 months already!" as an argument to NOT ban them?
That's the thing that amazes me the most.
Last edited by ZZYZX on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:19 am

ZZYZX wrote:
Samurai wrote: Holy shit Galactus was throwing his ego around for weeks and turns out the little dipshit was cheating all along?

errr. It's pretty obvious that you didn't even read the first post aside from Galactus' name as what he was using did NOT give him any advantage, and as such his ego was based off real things. Please, get your facts straight before making irrational hateful statements.
Although more on topic, what about the person who made the modified executable? That's probably Leonard. Guys, let's turn down ZCC, it's heretical and has a lot of borderline clientside limit adjustments which should be in the main codebase anyway. Like smaller nick change timeout.
Ænima wrote:Also, how exactly is the engine altered to cause this to happen? Can you somehow exclude yourself from obeying a server's sv_ flags?
Carncode. sv_nodrop is serverside check. No dropping in competitive game modes is clientside check.
I read the post fine thanks Austismoverload, I couldn't give a shit where and when he executed this, he cheated, end of conversation. Also you should pipe down, I seem to remember once upon a time you were also trying to exploit certain issues and commands to give yourself an advantage.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:28 am

I guess the implication with "snitching" samurai is that someone has done something negative, are you to tell me if one of your clan mates or old doom friends was cheating and only told you, you'd stand by them? I'm guessing many people who don't cheat themselves would say no.

Dranzer
Forum Regular
Clan: squared

Post by Dranzer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:33 am

<Galactus> if anything I should be rewarded for bringing an exploit to light

Yeah take a 3 month ban :cool: Good job on the admins for taking action and delivering swift justice. I feel safe now knowing that people wont be dropping weapons in scrim servers.
<Galactus>you're lightyears away from having me banned for this

^ 3 month ban (6months now nice evade)

ZZYZX
Posts a lot

Post by ZZYZX » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:34 am

one_Two wrote:I guess the implication with "snitching" samurai is that someone has done something negative, are you to tell me if one of your clan mates or old doom friends was cheating and only told you, you'd stand by them? I'm guessing many people who don't cheat themselves would say no.
First, on your covering argument: [spoiler]Show me a person that NEVER cheated?[/spoiler]

Second, I wouldn't care if someone told me something like that because it's not like I should do staff's work. I report people only when they annoy me personally. Fine example is reporting Killstrike's IP addresses on IRC when he tries to join VGL, or reporting a hacker when he obviously uses cheats on a server where I play.
I don't understand why do the people (regular players that is, not admins) see themselves as port's police and simply have to report everyone they see, often even before these everyone actually do something.

Would YOU like to have a friend whom you can never trust because he values law over you?
Last edited by ZZYZX on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:37 am

There is a difference onetwo.

If I had a strong concern or suspicion someone was cheating, of course I would take action, or tell someone who could look into the case for me.

My gripe is that it is very low, and cowardly to try and snitch your fellow friends up for cheating, to try and save your own skin.... especially when the guy in question was cheating himself. Galactus' snitched on his so called friend to save himself, not to help the admins out. Shame it backfired for him...
Last edited by Samurai on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:41 am

rust wrote: Additionally, I'm surprised Leonard didn't get any type of punishment. By Gal's own word, he was the one passing around a version of the custom client knowing fully well of it's exploits. Nice to know about them shady antics.
He reported it months ago actually. I'm guessing by the time he reported it, the damage was already done by handing out those clients.
07/02/2016 6:19:43 PM <Galactus> Besides there's a person in the zan staff who also was using the exploit ^_^
I have a good guess to who it is but I'd rather not say it w/o being 100% sure.
autism wrote: errr. It's pretty obvious that you didn't even read the first post aside from Galactus' name as what he was using did NOT give him any advantage, and as such his ego was based off real things. Please, get your facts straight before making irrational hateful statements.
Apparently being able to spawn hundreds of supershotguns is not an advantage. Please go shitpost in doomworld like metalguy123 and capodecima.
autism wrote: Guys, let's turn down ZCC, it's heretical and has a lot of borderline clientside limit adjustments which should be in the main codebase anyway. Like smaller nick change timeout.
That's like saying Water's custom client should've been shut down because it let you have allies with the same player color. How about no.