Zandronum

Full Version: Source code
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, I was just wandering, as it was supposed to be made available a while ago, will I be able to get the skulltag (or presumably old versions of zandronum) source code, for the Linux or Windows build?
I don't know what's happening with this.

Thanks.
My source repository contains the source code of all Zandronum / Skulltag versions since Skulltag 97c2 (that's when I joined the development).
Are there responsible disclosure rules, or no? If someone finds bad virus code in the source what do they do?

Sorry if here's the wrong place.
What is the licensing?
zandronum source code Wrote:Skulltag itself is released under a 4-clause license based on the OSI-approved and GPL-compatible Sleepycat License, with the addition of the "No Endorsement" clause from the 3-clause New BSD License. Practically, this means that Skulltag source code is safe to use in either GPL or Doom Source License/Raven Source License/etc. source ports as long as the terms of the Skulltag license are satisfied.The Skulltag license only covers Skulltag-specific code. Some source files contain additional notices of original copyright by their contributors.

Bad virus code... lol.
(06-14-2012 02:07 PM)Replicant Wrote: [ -> ]Are there responsible disclosure rules, or no? If someone finds bad virus code in the source what do they do?
It's ultimately up to individual morals, but we would prefer that any unfixed security problems be posted in a private ticket in the bug tracker for at least a reasonable amount of time before announcing it publicly.
(06-14-2012 03:22 PM)Drayko Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a license?
All new Skulltag/Zandronum code is licensed under a modified Sleepycat license. Basically similar to the BSD license, but requires full source disclosure.

For ZDoom code the licensing mess documented in the wiki applies. Of course in any case the final binary distribution is distributed under the terms of the original non-commercial Doom source license.
Quote:Of course in any case the final binary distribution is distributed under the terms of the original non-commercial Doom source license.

So, we can ignore the "full source disclosure" bit? Because the DSL.
(06-14-2012 06:03 PM)Replicant Wrote: [ -> ]So, we can ignore the "full source disclosure" bit? Because the DSL.
No, if the binaries uses any of the Zandronum/Skulltag exclusives files, you have to release all sources with the binaries.
Ok so what can and can't be done with the Zan assets? I'm assuming you can't 1.) Sue anybody for software not working as advertised/intended 2.) Sell a game with original ID Software assets.
I read all the licenses up, but it's confusing to me too. Depends on what parts you use really, I think.

Also, Its weird though, because then Zandronum specific assets will be under the same license as source code?

Technically, that would require you to publish the WAV samples, photoshop files, SVGs and texture details that would be considered the "source" of the WAD asset "binaries". FYI, this is why Creative Commons is used so often for assets while code is under a different license -- Releasing source material of images & sounds just isn't practical.
For anyone to make any use of it, it requires proper formatting.

Otherwise releasing the source for the textures/sprites isn't all that messed up.
Though in the case someone uses paint to do something, the source file IS the final image.
(06-16-2012 04:55 AM)Replicant Wrote: [ -> ]Also, Its weird though, because then Zandronum specific assets will be under the same license as source code?
To clarify this part: Zandronum's "full source disclosure" bit only intends to cover the source code, it is not supposed to cover image and sound sources.
Hey, I have an idea! What about buildbot, which will compile source code every night? For testers and modders it might be very nice feature. What about me, I'm interested in such a feature both as tester and modder.
(06-22-2012 04:22 PM)ZzZombo Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, I have an idea! What about buildbot, which will compile source code every night?
That would be great to have! We'd need a volunteer to host the build bot though.
I don't think there's much to stop us from hosting it on zandronum.com itself :)
A nightly build service isn't a bad idea, but do consider that for the builds to be of really any use, server hosts need to use them. The way we're doing things now with occasional snapshots has the advantage that everyone is using the same builds.
Sorry to derail but, related to snapshots, I still think we should version them to avoid confusion. (1.0-alpha1 for instance)
Just assign each build a number, starting from 0, and each build with buildbot must increase it by 1, so package name would looks like "ZandroDev<major version>-<minor>-build<number>" and reset this number after each change in major or minor version.
That's pretty much exactly my idea but with "build" instead of "alpha". :V
They are not the same at all, just look at your suggestion ("1.0-alpha1") and my ("ZandroDev<major version>-<minor>-build<number>"). But yeah, the basics are same.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's